Saturday, November 23, 2013

Knee Surgery

Surgery 

Oct 19, 2013
This is my last day before reporting to the VA at 5 am tomorrow morning. The day started with me taking one of the two a day showers I am having with a anti bacterial soap to lessen the chance on any staff infection coming with me to the hospital.
After the shower I had my morning coffee on the porch while I checked face book and my emails. Back inside and called the Service officer to check on what it would take to file a claim for disability during rehab, got the recorder, left a message. Next I reset the sim card on my fastrax phone. While on the phone with them the VA called back and left word that they would talk to me while in the hospital. Now it is time for me to start fixing my one meal for the day. I have recipe for a Jimmy Buffet Cheese burger in Paradise cassarole. This I am going to fix and then freeze the extra three portions for after I return home from the surgery. – 2 hours later – I fixed it, and it was reaaly pretty good, ate more than I should of, still put two healthy servings in the freezer, 2 pans to wash and I am done. By the way, that was my last food till after the surgery some time tomorrow afternoon. By the time I finish it will be time to head down to pick up my handicap scooter. —- 231.00 dollars later I am home with the scooter and it is covered on my porch as such time as I either can give it back to the AMVETS or once again use it as my blue charriot. Now for a long evening with my I pad and the TV. – going on 8 pm and I just finished the third Castle rerun in a row. Going to hit the shower, one more tonight and one at 3 am before leaving for the hospital. Never been cleaner, two a day showers with a surgical soap should have me good and clean === Layed down about 10 with the TV on, drifted off before midnight.
Nov 20, 2013
Had my phone alarm set for 3:15, I was awake when it went off. Took my last of the 2 a day showers and was ready and waiting when Red drove up outside We ended up getting to the hospital a full 30 minutes early. However I was taken right in and guided to a room with a gurnny, a high priced gurnny Very comfortable and I went back to sleep after all the vitals were taken and recorded. Red and Marline came back down to watch me head into the butcher shop, (I meant operating room). I was out very shortley and acturally every thing is kind of foggy from this point on untill the next morning. I de remember Red and Marline saying good night. I shall close out this day without much of a log.
Nov 21,
Still slept most the day although they did help get me up, very short walk with a walker, did not put much weight on the leg. Hardest part is getting back into bed and getting up. I did notice that the old constant pain had changed to a overall ache which I am sure is from the insission. Not a lot to tell as I slept most the day, My first roomate went home and I was sorry to see him go as he was a jokester while I was awake it was enjoyable. When he left he told me I would have to pick up the slack on being the good humor man. I will have a hard time doing that as most of you who know me know that I never ever smart off or make a wise crack.
Nov 22, 2013
I am breaking a record on the amount of sleep I am getting,“lots”. Physical therapy came about mid day, Ive lost track of time. It hurt like heck getting up, once up and getting my breath back I did take a good walk acording to the tech. When getting back in bed I found how bad it can hurt, I hope that was the upper limit. I forgot to help lift the leg with the other, 1/2 way through sitting down was to late to change my mind.You can not stop a sit down 1/2 way through. WOW!!! I think I can remember how to keep the leg straight when sitting down. It took a few minutes to get my breath back. To my surprise a couple of hours later I needed to go to the bath room and decided to do it my myself. Got up with bearable pain and the walk to the bathroom wasn’t bad either. However remembering the last sit down experience I decided once I got on the edge of the bed with a straight leg, I ask for help getting it onto the bed. — Some conversation with the room mates, watched a little tv, not to impressive because I can not remember what I watched. They woke me at 5 for a pill of some kind I had to ask, am or pm? Bettina called and offered to bring me an extinsion cord I need for my chargers, phone and I- pad. I slep most of the evening and most of the night for that matter.
Nov 23, 2013

No comments: